Eckerö Mail- & Custom's houseAddress: Postbryggan, 22270 Eckerö Show map
Address: Postbryggan, 22270 Eckerö
The stately Eckerö Mail & Custom’s House was built in 1828 and drawn by the architects Carl Ludvig Engel and Carlo Bassi. The building is fashioned in the empire building style, known from, for example, the Helsinki centre and St. Petersburg. Eckerö Mail & Custom’s House represents together with Bomarsund the Russian occupation in Finland and Åland. Eckerö used to be the Russian custom’s border with Sweden for more than a hundred years.
Architect historians of today consider the Eckerö Mail & Custom’s House to be one of Engels most important non-church buildings. The building has been owned by the Åland province since 1994 and is managed by the Åland government. The building and the surrounding area are an important part of the Åland cultural inheritance and have a strong connection with the Old Mail Route. Today the cultural building offers a fine excursion destination for the whole family.
OPENING HOURS 2019:
5 May–8 September daily at 10 am–6 pm
About this activity
Phone number (booking)+358 457 5301435
Phone number+358 18 25000
Contact person nameTed Chikasha
Contact person email
Price informationFree entrance.